Press "Enter" to skip to content

Mall of America reopens following Thursday's shooting

BLOOMINGTON, Minn. — The Mall of America reopened to shoppers Friday, as police continued to look for the two suspects wanted in Thursday’s shooting.

There were security vehicles posted outside of the mall and authorities say there is more of a security presence inside the mall on Friday.

A mall spokesman says they are working with shoppers to relocate merchandise they may have left behind while they were trying to take cover.

As of now, police say no one was injured, but the shooting sent shoppers into a panic and the mall into lockdown. The mall eventually closed for the evening.

Bloomington Police Chief Booker Hodges says it was a fight inside the Mall of America’s Nike store that led to the mall’s second shooting in less than eight months.

“Instead of walking away, they decided to demonstrate a complete lack of respect for human life,” Hodges said.

Suspects fired three shots total. Hodges says police were on scene inside of 30 seconds, while others scrambled to safety.

“We’re trying to hear what’s happening, we come up the escalator, and then we hear pop pop pop. We just keep running I guess,” Yussuf Malin said.

This morning we talked with shoppers and asked them their feelings about returning to the mall.

One person who was there on Thursday — Tony Oufley, of Milwawukee — returned Friday, and said he wasn’t feeling any fear about coming back. Another shopper, from Hutchinson, said 

“It’s always a worry in this day and age, it seems to be happening more and more. So we’re just more cautions and aware of our surroundings,” Libby Buck said.

As of noon, no one is in custody in the shooting. Police are asking for the two people they’re looking for to turn themselves in.

“If someone decides they don’t value human life and they choose to pull out a weapon, I don’t know what we can do,” Hodges said.

Police thought one of the suspects took a shuttle to a hotel across the street from the mall. Bloomington Police, the State Patrol, and ATF all showed up there, but didn’t find anyone.

Police have not released a description of the suspects.

This is the second shooting inside the mall in the last 8 months. On New Years Eve, Kahlil Wiley opened fire in the mall around 5 p.m. and hit two people. WCCO obtained surveillance video of that shooting earlier this week. Wiley is serving just under four years in prison.


Source: CBS Minnesota

Be First to Comment

    Leave a Reply

    %d bloggers like this: